Mechanical engineering within the Power Electronics team tackle some of the most difficult engineering challenges and continuously push beyond what was deemed impossible in power conversion systems. Working closely with electrical engineers, firmware engineers, and manufacturing engineers, the technologies developed by the mechanical engineering team enable world class performance in our vehicles and energy storage products. This is evident by the unequaled acceleration and charging time of our vehicles, as well as the power density of our PowerWalls and PowerPacks. Such feats demand strong creativity and strict engineering rigor using first principle reasoning. The role requires utilization of skills across many disciplines.
· Develop components used in chargers, inverters, DCDC’s, etc.
· Design and documentation of plastics, sheet metal, die castings, etc. utilizing CAD
· Perform thermal/structural/CFD modeling of components and systems
· Build prototypes and perform functional validation in lab and in actual use case.
· Work with electrical engineers and PCBA designers to integrate components into electro-mechanical systems.
· Work with reliability engineers to validate design
· Work with manufacturing engineers and suppliers to transition concepts to production.
· BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
· Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering within a product design and manufacturing environment.
· Knowledge of high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, die casting, stamping, extrusion, etc.
· Sound engineering fundamentals
· Detail oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills.
· Proficiency in CAD modeling, CATIA v5 experience highly valued but not required.
· 10-20% of travel is expected.